ChatGPT & Amazon FBA: Tips for Using AI to Optimize your Product Listings
What is ChatGPT?
Unless you’ve been living under a rock, chances are you’ll have heard of ChatGPT. But what is it, and how can you use it to help you optimize your Amazon product listings?
ChatGPT is an AI response generation tool that helps users generate content following a series of text-based prompts or queries. The reason you’re seeing it mentioned everywhere is mainly because it has to power to change how we use search on the internet, but also because of the incredibly powerful time-saving benefits for content creators and marketers alike.
How Can ChatGPT Help Amazon Sellers?
Using AI, or ChatGPT in particular to generate product listing copy and content has several benefits for Amazon sellers:
- Firstly, it saves time and resources by automating the process of creating content, which can be a time-consuming task.
- Secondly, AI can provide valuable insights and recommendations based on data analysis, helping to optimize content for better search engine rankings and overall performance.
- Thirdly, using AI can help to ensure consistency and accuracy in product descriptions, reducing the risk of errors and discrepancies that can lead to customer confusion.
Overall, AI-powered content creation can help Amazon sellers to streamline their marketing efforts, improve experiences, and drive better results. Ultimately this means that when you come to experiment with your product listings, you can be much more efficient, and focus on the results rather than spending hours agonizing over small details.
Prompts to Consider When Using ChatGPT
While ChatGPT is unarguably a very powerful tool, the outputs are only as good as the inputs; as the saying goes…crap in, crap out!
Prompts based on your Keywords
Start by identifying the most relevant and high-impact keywords related to your category, product, or niche. You can use Amazon keyword research tools to identify popular search terms and phrases that people are using most commonly.
Once you have a list of keywords, use them to craft effective and engaging prompts that will capture the attention of your audience. Make sure that your prompts are clear, concise, and specific, highlighting the key benefits or features of your product or service. Use language that is easy to understand and avoid jargon or technical terms that might confuse or alienate your customers.
Here’s an example of a couple of prompts you could use to generate a keyword-focused product title and description, using a fictional supplement brand:
Create a short Amazon product title for "5HTP Gummy Supplements, 60 capsules" using the keywords "supplements", "vitamins", "sleep aid","sleep quality" and "improve sleep"
The output generated from this prompt was: “Sleep Aid Gummies - 5HTP Supplement for Improved Sleep Quality - 60 Capsules”
Create a short Amazon product description for "5HTP Gummy Supplements, 60 capsules" using the keywords "supplements", "vitamins", "sleep aid","sleep quality" and "improve sleep"
The output generated from this prompt was: “Say goodbye to sleepless nights and hello to restful slumber with our 5HTP Gummy Supplements! Our delicious and convenient gummies are the blend of supplements to support better sleep60 capsules per bottle, you'll have a two-month supply of this natural sleep aid. Our key ingredient, 5HTP, is known to increase serotonin levels in the brain, promoting a better mood, reducing stress, and improving sleep. These gummies are easy to take and are perfect for those who have trouble swallowing pills. Improve your sleep quality and feel refreshed every morning with our 5HTP Gummy Supplements!”
(these outputs have been copied verbatim to demonstrate the degree of accuracy you could expect)
As you can see, the outputs are pretty good - but not perfect. You should still make sure that you check them for accuracy, spelling, and sentence structure to make sure that the quality of your listings is as good as it can be.
Prompts based on your customer problems
AI or ChatGPT can be incredibly useful for addressing the issue of product features and their impact on search result rankings and conversion rates. AI can help you identify the pain points of your target customers and suggest features that are most relevant to them.
Here's an example prompt for researching customer pain points for our fictional sleep supplement:
Identify the top 5 pain points of busy professionals who might struggle to sleep. How can our product help solve these pain points and make getting good quality sleep easier?
The output of this prompt was:
- Stress and anxiety: Many busy professionals have high stress jobs which can lead to anxiety and difficulty falling asleep.
- Exposure to blue light: Exposure to blue light from electronic devices such as laptops and smartphones can disrupt the body's natural sleep-wake cycle and make it harder to fall asleep.
- Discomfort: Uncomfortable sleeping environments, such as hotel beds or unfamiliar surroundings, can make it difficult to get a good night's sleep.
- Insomnia: Some individuals may struggle with insomnia, making it difficult to fall asleep or stay asleep.
- Lack of routine: Busy schedules and travel can disrupt daily routines, including sleep schedules, which can make it challenging to get adequate sleep.
You can then create ChatGPT prompts to craft clear, concise product descriptions that highlight how your product's features can solve your target market's problems. By focusing on real-life applications and avoiding industry jargon, you can ensure that your product descriptions are easy to understand and resonate with your customers.
How to Validate Changes Made With ChatGPT
Once you've made your changes, it's important to measure their effectiveness. There are many ways to do this, such as:
- Tracking conversion rates using available reports in Seller Central
- Measuring customer satisfaction via reviews received following your changes - these can be a good indication that your product is meeting expectations based on the information you've provided to your customers
- You can also use customer analytics for Amazon sellers to identify any particular changes in performance
The most useful report for this validation exercise would be a cohort analysis. Identifying the point that you made changes to your listing means you can see how that specific cohort contributes to your sales performance over time, and because your customers will only ever be in one cohort (a customer who first purchased from you in January 2023 will always be in the January 2023 cohort even if they come back and purchase again in February) you can see the direct impact of your changes on your profitability by looking at the difference to your customer lifetime value and retention within that specific cohort compared to others.
Advantages of Using ChatGPT for Amazon Sellers
- You save time and money.
- You can increase efficiency by automating repetitive tasks, which saves you time and money.
- You will be able to provide better customer service because ChatGPT helps you respond faster than ever before!
Common Challenges of Using ChatGPT for Amazon Sellers
One of the main benefits of ChatGPT is its simplicity and ease of use. On the flip side, however, its simplicity can be deceptive. As we touched on earlier, you need to be careful of the limitations and ensure you’re checking for accuracy.
ChaptGPT is not an inherently reliable source of factual information, so if you’re looking to create brand-new content it’s probably not the best choice. For example, it’s not going to be a useful tool for determining what your target keywords should be - you should use other, specialized tools for that purpose. It is good for generating ideas or creating natural human language for concepts and information that you feed into it though, which is why it lends itself so well to simple tasks like listing optimization, fast market research, and ad copy.
ChatGPT is a great tool for optimizing your Amazon product listings. It allows you to quickly and easily add the right keywords and phrases, which will help you get more traffic to your products - but make sure you proofread the outputs for sense and accuracy as well as validate those changes with an analytics tool to ensure maximum performance of your listings over time.
Want more insights like this? Sign up to our monthly newsletter!